Sunday, December 27, 2009

Is medical coding & billing a good job? is it a future work-at-home job?

It can be good. However, it can be extremely frustrating. A big chunk of it is spent chasing insurance companies for payment. Many companies will sit on payments for the dumbest reasons. So, you do spend a lot of time chasing your own tail. You also need to have a good eye for detail, since often mistakes are made by insurance companies - they often underpay but sometimes overpay.





As far as for working at home, they're actually getting away from that. Because of the privacy laws that are in place now, there's an increased need for secure networks, and most medical software is proprietary, and to set someone up at home with that is very costly. (The software alone can cost tens of thousands of dollars to puchase from scratch.)Is medical coding %26amp; billing a good job? is it a future work-at-home job?
I work at a doctor's office, doing the whole front office. Coding takes some memorizing but you will understand it pretty fast. I don't understand these places who offer classes in ';medical careers'; because I didn't go to school for what I do. I don't feel it is an at home job. You have to be in that atmosphere and it's just quicker to do in an office that lug all that home. I really like my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment